One of the most popular burgers on typical restaurant menus are blue or Swiss cheese burgers topped with bacon, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. I think it’s a winning combination because there are a lot of different textures and flavors when those toppings are paired together, and most adults like those flavors on a juicy burger. I wanted to play off that American classic with today’s sliders by adding a ring of red and yellow bell peppers to the outside of the burger. The bell pepper brings another level of sweet to balance out the salt in the cheese and bacon. I love all of these flavors combined together, and I’m sure you will too!
I began by gathering my ingredients above and pre-heating the oven to 350°F.
Next I sliced the tops off of each bell pepper, removed the seeds and cleaned out the inside, and then sliced each pepper into three 1/2 inch thick slices. You should have 6 total slices between two peppers.
I also thinly sliced my onion and set it aside for later.
In a large mixing bowl I combined the ground beef, almond flour, an egg, minced garlic, salt, and pepper and used my hands to fold all the ingredients together until fully combined.
I divided the meat into six even sections and formed patties in my hand before pressing it into each ring of bell pepper.
I browned both sides of each slider for 4 or 5 minutes and then baked the sliders for 20 minutes in the oven until cooked through.
While the sliders were baking, I cooked the bacon in the microwave for 5 minutes until crispy. At the same time, I melted butter in a pan over medium-low heat. I added the onions and let them caramelize for about 15 minutes before adding the mushrooms and sauteing another 5 minutes or so until tender. When the burgers came out of the oven I let them cool and then built the sliders. The burger is topped with a piece of bacon, a spoonful of the mushrooms and onions, and then a sprinkling of blue cheese. You could easily pop a slider into a lettuce wrap and eat it like a traditional burger, or use another recipe for almond buns or “Oopsie Bread” to hold onto your sliders. Of course, these are fantastic on their own, too! It’s the perfect low carb twist on an otherwise traditionally high carb meal, which is one of my favorite types of recipes to create for all of you.
- 16oz 85/15 ground beef
- 1tblsp minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 1/4c almond flour
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1c sliced mushrooms
- 1tblsp butter
- 2oz crumbled blue cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice off the top of each bell pepper, remove the seeds, and slice each pepper into three 1/2 inch thick rings.
- Slice the onion into thin rounds.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, garlic, egg, almond flour, salt, and pepper.
- Form even patties in your hands and press them into each ring of bell pepper.
- Over medium heat, brown both sides of each slider for 4-5 minutes.
- Bake sliders in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In another pan melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add sliced onions and caramelize about 15 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute an additional 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Cook the bacon in the microwave for 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- To assemble, top each slider with a piece of bacon, a spoonful of mushrooms and onions, and a sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles.
Per serving: 602 calories, 7g total carbs, 4g net carbs, 45g fat, 42g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)
© 2014 Butter Is Not a Carb
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to read more like it!